I can resume this post and say DBAs have three basic tasks: backup, BACKUP, BACKUP!!. Although data integrity is clearly the first job, if the data isn’t good doesnt matter if the database is available or database perfomance is fast.
So first and principal task is Establish and maintain backup and recovery policies and procedures
The DBA has many other jobs as well:
– Installation, configuration and upgrading of Oracle server software and related products
– Evaluate Oracle features and Oracle related products
– Take care of the Database design and implementation
– Implement and maintain database security (create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges)
– Perform database tuning and performance monitoring
– Perform application tuning and performance monitoring
– Setup and maintain documentation and standards
– Plan growth and changes (capacity planning)
– Work as part of a team and provide 24×7 support when required
– Perform general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development teams.
– Interface with Oracle Corporation for technical support.
– Patch Management and Version Control
Last list summarize perfect tipical dutys of a DBA, but nowdays there are new responsibilities, environment has changed considerably,
now days dbas shuld take care about things arround database much more, need knwoledge about architecture and operation of virtualization software, he basic principles of the different configurations of disk arrays, knowledge about networking, often the DBA must interact with professionals in networking to define characteristics of VLANs, NIC configuration, switches, firewalls, routers, etc.. The databases are located in sophisticated network architectures that must be understood for problem solving (troubleshooting) and optimize performance and security. Know about SO is a must, need to monitor performance about server resources, with out basic about SO u can be blind againts a performance problem.
An understanding of how application servers work and particularly how they connect to the database will help the DBA to deliver light in relation to issues that may have an origin in the configurations of the client machines, datasources, XA drivers, JDBC, ADO . NET, ODBC, etc.. The configuration of active / active or active / passive clusters requires well defined knowledge in the areas of storage, networking, software Cluster (Oracle RAC, Cluster File System, Windows and Linux Clusters, cluster software from other vendors).
A DBAs who have recent knowledge representing professionals that will replace the old DBA dedicated only to install, create databases and perform basic maintenance.
We can summarize new ORACLE DBA Responsibilities:
* Implement a backup and recovery policy for the database.
* Know the business , mission and objectives to align their responsibilities properly with these forms .
* Install database software
* Install patch or service pack for database
* Install software clustering for high availability environments (new )
* Configure cluster environments (new )
* Configure NTP servers for synchronizing clocks of nodes in a cluster ( new)
* Meet Configuration Methods for High Availability redundancy level of NIC (bonding , failover ) ( new)
* Configure contingency environments for disaster recovery ( DR ) . Try failover and switchover (new )
* Create Databases
* Create and maintain users
* Manage the distribution of shared resources between applications
* Structuring and provide storage for the database at the physical level and logical level. Physically specific characteristics of LUNs of storage , implement ASM (Oracle ) disk groups to house the archives of the database design failover mechanisms in the case of storage replication (new )
* Check the logical objects that are created and updated in the database (tables, indexes , etc. ), bring exchange controls.
* Define and control the use of standards to facilitate the administration, to ensure the safety , maintenance and performance of the BD
* Review and provide Views Good for passing the new designs to production database developers that release .
* Bring log of activities in each database .
* Document each database
* Evaluate new software releases of the database , recommend the use of new features to the user community
* Provide technical support for developers, support in solving problems
* Verify and monitor the status and use of integrity rules of the database
* Assist with impact analysis of any changes that may be projected to the database
* Analyze performance database
* Perform tuning ( tuning) of the databases
* Perform tuning ( tuning) applications (analysis of execution plans, optimizers , SQL , PL / SQL , TSQL , etc. ), using more sophisticated tuning tools and require more knowledge (new )
* Perform tuning ( tuning) network
* Update statistics periodically to feed DB optimization models for COST .
* Contents reorganizations database to improve performance and facilitate administration
* Implement security policies different database (profiles , roles , privileges , selective encryption , certificates, etc. )
* Enable specific audits of activities in the database according to requirements.
* Manage security policies and firewall audit database ( eg http://www.guardium.com , GreenSQL ) ( new)
* Perform logical and physical backups
* Try the policy periodically backup and recovery of the database .
* Implement archiving of information is no longer necessary for the fulfillment of business objectives (new ) .
* Raise indicators and metrics to understand the behavior of the database over time ( new) .
* Perform Capacity Planning for replacement of infrastructure (CPU , RAM, STORAGE, NETWORKING )
* Configure application servers to connect to the database with high performance and high availability (new ) .
In order to have these knowledge three to five years of intense professional experience will need. Practice is the mother of all sciences. The best school to complete such skills are professional consultants and IT service companies, which by their nature must face various realities of their clients and thus catalyze the development of the skills necessary for a DBA nowdays.