This post contains 70 concepts that you should learn and become knowledgeable to be confident on performing your Job as a New DBA.
As a beginner, you know, in internet u will find lot of websites giving excellent information about different concepts, but like newbe u maybe get litle confused by looking at the huge amount of information.
Here we write a list of terms, in quiz format, that you should study and understand before you even want to consider yourself as a junior DBA.
In future i will post answers down and complet list of basic questions of 100.
1) What are the responsibilities of a DBA on a typical working day?
2) Which tools does a DBA need to carry out his tasks?
3) 10 functionalities in each tool that you identified in step 2, that you should know in order to perform your duties as a DBA.
4) connecting to a database on a Unix server using sqlplus.
5) connecting to a database on a Windows server using sqlplus.
6) starting a database.
7) shutting down a database.
8) What is a listener? How to start and stop a listener?How to find out the status of a listener?
9) What is a Port?
10) What are the uses of tnsnames.ora , sqlnet.ora, listener.ora files? Where should they be located on a server?
11) Which components are required for a client to connect to a database?
12) What is Oracle Client? What is Oracle Server? Where should they be installed and what is the difference between them?
13) How many different versions of a Oracle database exists at the moment?Which versions are used most?Which is the latest version?
14) How do you find out if a database is already running/active on a Unix server?
15) What is oracle enterprise manager?
16) What are Oracle patches and which tools do you use to Patch a Oracle database?why should you patch a Oracle database?where do you get the patches?
17) What are the 20 unix commands you should know to work on a oracle database which is on a unix server?
18) What is a backup ? Which is the well known Oracle backup tool?
19) In the oracle website , where do you find all the DBA Documentation for the versions 9i and 10g?
20) What is a SGA?
21) What is the difference between a database and Instance in oracle?What is a schema ? What is the difference between a schema and user in Oracle?
22) What is block, extent, segment , datafile , tablespace , redolog , archive log , controlfile , undo file , rollback segment?
23) what are the various background processes in an oracle database?What is the purpose of each background process? When do the background processes get created?
24) What is a user process? What is a server process ? what is the difference between the two processes?
25) Which components do you need for starting a oracle database?
26) What is a pfile?What is a spfile? what is the difference between them?How do you create and delete them?
27) What is an Oracle home?
28) What is an alert log? How is it created?what happens if the alert log is deleted?
29) What is a profile file on a unix server and what is the purpose of it?
30) What is a password file ?
31) what is a sysdba privilege in oracle?
32) What is a data dictionary view in an oracle database? In which oracle document do you find
information about all the data dictionary views?
33)What is a crontab on a unix server and what is the purpose of it?How do you schedule shell scripts using Crontab ?
34)what is a export tool in oracle? What is an import tool in oracle? what is the purpose of both these tools?
35)What is a table, sequence , view , profile , role , index , procedure , function , package , trigger , dblink , materialized view , synonym , constraint , primary key , foreign key , unique key , grant , revoke , sqlloader in oracle ?
36) What is a Job in oracle?
37)which dictionary tables do you check to find out the version of a database ? to find out if the database instance is online? to find out if the database is open?
38)what are the different stages a database can be from the time it initially starts until the time it is completely open?what is meant by nomount? mount? open? resetlogs?
39)What is a buffer cache? shared pool? library cache ? data dictionary cache? log buffer? large pool? java pool? pga ?
40)What is a cold backup? what is a hot backup? what is the commonly used method to do a cold backup ?what is the commonly used methos to take a hot backup?what is the purpose of doing a cold backup or a hot backup?
41)What is meant by database backup? What do you mean by a database restore?Which tool do you use to restore a database?
42)How do you create a oracle instance ? how do you create a oracle database ?
43)how do you create a control file ? create a datafile ? create a user? create a redo log? create a archived log? create a tablespace ? create a profile? change a users password ? change a datafile size? change tablespace size? change undo tablespace size? create a table , view , sequence ,procedure etc?
44)what is bdump directory? cdump directory? udump directory?
45)what is statspack? what is performance tuning in oracle and what is the purpose of performance tuning?
46)what is a tkprof tool? what is sql trace?what is the purpose of sql trace?
47)what is an explain plan? what is a plan_table and how is it created? what is an optimizer ?what is optimizer mode ? what are statistics and why do statistics need to be collected for all tables and indexes in an oracle database?
48)what is block corruption ? which tool do you use to check block corruption in a datafile?
49)what is a recovery catalogue?
50)can you have multiple databases in a single server? what factors should be take into account before we decide to put a new database into a unix server?What is the impact of the server RAM , disk space , CPU on a oracle database?
51)what is the difference between a production dba and a development dba ?
52)As a new dba how do you use the various ITIL terminologies like incident management , problem management , change management?
53)What is performance tuning and what performance tuning have you done recently and which tools did you use for the performance tuning and which are the various tools that you can use in oracle 10g to performance tune your database?
54)What is oracle metalink and how do you use oracle metalink and for what purpose did you recently use oracle metalink?
55)Did you use oracle enterprise manager and are you comfortable using different enterprise manager screens?
56)Explain about 10 problems that you have solved recently and which one among them has been really critical for the company?
57)In which database views can you find out information about the control file?
58)When you start the database, at what stage does oracle read the controlfile and what is this stage called?
59)Can you open a database without using a controlfile?
60)Which command do you use to create a controlfile creation script ?
61)what is the purpose of the command “alter database backup controlfile to trace” and when do you use this?
62)suppose your production database controlfile is corrupt. how do you recover it?
63)when creating a database you have to specify the folder names where oracle should put the control files. In which file do you have to specify these folder names?
64)Control file has certain parameters like maxlogfiles,maxlogmembers,maxdatafiles etc. you specify these parameters during database creation in the create database command. how do you change the values of these parameters once the database is created?Which parameters can be changed and which parameters cannot be changed?
65)How many controlfile copies must be/better to be created during database creation and why do we need to have more than one copy?
66)which rman command do you use to recover your control file?
67)How do you put your database in archivelog mode?
68)how do you put your database in no archivelog mde?
69)which parameters do you need to set before putting your database in archivelog mode?
70)which parameters should you comment before stopping the archivemode of your database?